Mary Anne Richardson, CPM-TN, EMT,RN (Licensed Midwife)
Since August, 1994, Mary Anne Richardson has been asissting couples with births in the Nashville Area. During that time she has trained and worked in hospital settings, and in the homes of clients.
Her experience with birth includes management of: breech, twins, shoulder dystocias, VBACs, and hemorrhage. She has dealt with placenta previa, placenta abruption, retained placenta, cord wraps, and velamentous insertion of the cord.
In 1997 she founded Tender Beginnings and was the sole midwife for much of that time. She is active in providing education to other midwives and students to improve midwifery care for mothers and babies across the country.
In pursuit of her passion to improve the reputation of midwives Mary Anne has served two terms as the President of the TMA (Tennessee Midwives Association) as well as other positions on the TMA board and still serves the TMA as a legislative liaison. As a legislative liaison she worked tirelessly, along with other midwives, to legalize CPM/Home birth midwifery in the state of Tennessee by successfully lobbing for three different bills through the state Legislature.
She has served two terms on the Council of Certified Professional Midwives a division of the Department of Health state of Tennessee as Vice-Chairperson and the Chairperson. Currently she serves as the consultant to the Council of Certified Professional Midwives reviewing complaints to the Council. Mary Anne currently sets on the board of NARM (North America Registry of Midwives) and is the Director of Accountability for this organization.
While caring for families as a midwife and monitrice, she maintains three TN State licenses and she is currently active in providing education to other midwives and students to improve midwifery care for mothers and babies across the country. She has presented courses to students in local universities and colleges about midwifery. She was honored to serve as the Keynote presenter at a “Empower Your Birth Conference”. She has developed and presented courses for midwifery students and midwives, some of which have been accredited by MEAC (Midwifery Education and Accreditation Council) and a presentation at MANA (Midwives Alliance of North America) a international midwifery conference. Mary Anne has also been an Instructor at the College of Traditional Midwifery. Her most current MEAC accredited class is “Stick ’em up IV Therapy”
- Tennessee Birth Place: Basic Midwifery
- Tennessee Birth Place: Recognition and Management of Emergencies and Complications of Pregnancy
- International School of Midwifery, Victoria Jubilee Hospital, Jamaica: Hands on training dealing with complications
- Columbia State Community College: Emergency Medical Technician Intravenous Therapy
- Columbia State Community College: Nursing Program, 2006 obtained Associates Degree
- Middle Tennessee State University: 2 years in the nursing program,
- Doulas of North America: Doula Training
- S.T.A.B.L.E. program completed 2009, again in 2013 and 2017. This is an advance program for the care on newborn infants. She is scheduled to complete this updated program in August of this year.