This class is focused on the tips, tricks and techniques to assist midwives in starting an IV and administering IV fluids and medications in the home setting. The fee includes supplies, handouts, and certificates for 5 MEAC accredited CEUs.
Participants will be supplied information about IV administration to include:
- IV fluids and their appropriate uses,
- Medications used in the midwifery home setting,
- Normal Reactions,
Participants will practice every aspect of IV administration:
- Mixing medications
- Spiking a bag,
- Priming the lines,
- Administering an IV to include;
- proper placement,
- inserting the catheter,
- taping/securing the IV,
- Pushing a medication/flushing a line,
- Discontinuing the IV, and of course,
We supply sterile unexpired IV lines, catheters, and fluids for insertion on a live model. However, we will practice on a simulation model first.